Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Torched and Carved Maple

So I saw this ugly chunk of maple on the floor just before Christmas. I thought I could try something new with it. It was hard as a rock and instead of fine curlies, lots of dust came off it while turning it. I finished it almost a month ago, but I'm not sure what to think of it. The interior has 6 coats of Arm a Seal gloss and the rest has a few coats of danish oil. The exterior is wire brushed and I torched the bottom, but it's tough to see that in the pics I have. I did the carving on the top with my rotary tool and a burr.

I attempted to get back into the more rustic turnings that I've done in the past. This one has more work done to it after turning than anything I've done in the past. I have another similar piece in the works and hope to improve on the idea going forward. What do you all think about it?

2 comments:

  1. I really like it. Its form is simple yet expressive. The finish in the bowl is superb!

    ReplyDelete