Friday, July 11, 2008

Thicker is Better

I've been spending quite a bit of time looking at European turner's websites lately. Many tend to turn thick sided bowls and vases. Because of all the pictures I've looked at I've grown to like the look and decided to try it myself. Many turners believe the thinner the walls the better and more skilled the turner is. In my opinion, a thicker wall makes the piece look more natural. Below are a few of the thicker bowls I made recently.

After posting this, I saw a discussion about the thickness of wood turnings on SawMill Creek, an online woodworking forum, and I started a similar on Family Woodworking, the best online woodworking forum!

Maple 13"wide and 6" tall



Maple 11" wide and 5" tall



Three elm bowls 7-8" wide and 3-4" tall

No comments:

Post a Comment